domenica 15 febbraio 2015

Week 4: Cape Town - Havana


I am not a “party’girl” but for some reason the last three Fridays have been uncommonly filled with interesting social gathering, and brought me to places I would never thought I would experiment.

The first Friday night saw myself taking a bus to Camden Town and end up in Cape Town. A South-African inspired club was indeed the designed place for an all-italian girl’s night out. At the entrance of the club, a set of escalators gets you to the restaurant/bar downstairs. And it felt like beign in Gardaland[1], going into the Egyptian ride. Once down-stair we heard drums playing, and following the sound we saw drummers and dancers performing among the dining tables. The food looked exotic and tasty. We left the cold winter London’s night and we were suddenly in “wild” South Africa, where drums were playing and tall wooden statues of warriors were looking upon us. The bathrooms as well were interesting. Where else can you find a cougar holding the door for you?

One week later, same bus to Camden Town, I ended up in Cuba. Live music was playing and people were dancing salsa. Thanks to my fervid imagination and the furnishing of the club I felt like I was in Havana. If only it wasn’t so cold outside! I danced to the Cuban rhythm and enjoyed myself very much. Unfortunately live music stopped and a DJ started playing normal “club-like” music. I still danced, but the Cuban atmosphere was gone., and so was my desire for a good shot of rum and a cigar.

Third week, still same bus, ended up in London. This night was about indie live music and dj sets, in a venue was a former theatre. It cannot get much better for me than that. I entered the club way too early, I was among the first one in there. Which made me feel incredibly old! But hey….entrance and drinks were cheaper that way!  It was nice for a night to be part of the hipster-alternative London crowd!

One of the things I love the most about London is the chance to travel with your imagination virtually all-over the world. And get a taste of many different cultures. Of course going to a South African or Cuban club is not even close to actually visiting the Country itself. But it helps to escape the daily reality one lives in, and set the imagination free to travel far.



[1] Italian Theme Park

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento